Saturday, December 8, 2012

Blog Assignment #12

Create An Assignment!

Based on the technology tools we have learned about in EDM 310, what are some tools or websites that you believe could be used in your area of speciality?
Explain why you would use these tools.
Give examples of how these tools would be used.

YouTube

Why YouTube? Well, I plan to teach History/Social Studies and I believe that YouTube and other video sharing tools, like Vimeo, would be very useful in this subject. At my high school, it was a trend just catching on to create fun video projects for the area of history we were studying. Often these video projects were students acting out an elaborate drama on subjects such as, The American Civil War, The French Revolution, and The American Revolution. We also used these in our Government and Economics classes. They were an entertaining way to get into the stories and work together. My fondest memory is of one particularly entertaining group of boys whose colorful adaptation of the American Revolutionary war involved Molly Pitcher in drag and a little too much fake blood. But it was a wonderful way to top of the chapter, and I guarantee anyone from my graduating class still remembers it, and remembers who Molly Pitcher or Nathan Hale were.

Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on the above mentioned video because it is no longer on YouTube, but I did find this one and I thought it was pretty good!



Wordle

Wordle is a fun and easy tool that can be used to create exciting images out of text! We have use Wordle before in EDM and I quite like it. It is so easy too. All you have to know how to do is copy and paste, and do a screen shot. From there it's just having fun and playing around with all of the settings. In Wordle, you can manipulate the shape and color of your text and you can choose which words are prominent and which are small. This site enables you to turn an ordinary paragraph into a fun eye-catching work of art. This would be a fun go-to tool for students to include in presentations and even papers. Below is an example of a Wordle that I created about the American Revolutionary War!




There are so many amazing tools that we have learned about this semester that it was very hard for me to decide which ones to include, but these are definitely my favorites so I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment