Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blog Assignment #3



What Is Peer Editing?
The What Is Peer Editing? video was very helpful, although I preferred the Peer Edit With Perfection tutorial because I like how it listed everything out in order and gave examples. Both pointed out the important steps of peer editing. The first point that the video stresses is that compliments are key. Always start off by telling the person your'e reviewing what you liked about their work. Be positive! Next are, suggestions and corrections. Suggestions is the part when you, obviously, make suggestions to your peer on some ways to improve their writing. Corrections is just the tedious part when you correct any spelling and grammar errors.

I think this tutorial is a very useful tool. I was happy that both the videos and Paige Ellis' blog discussed the conflict of correcting someone's writing in a public comment versus a private message. It is always difficult for me to make any criticisms in public comments, no matter how positive. I am always tempted to be overly sweet and not at all critical or constructive and that isn't helpful.

I absolutely loved the Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes video. Those kids are hilarious! They all depicted their characters so well and I was totally able to pick up on each "mistake". I think "Off Task Oliver" was my favorite. I hope I don't ever come across as a "Mean Margaret"!


Technology In Special Education
I thought that the Technology In Special Education video was wonderful because special education is a field that I am considering going into. I am so interested in working with children that have special needs such as learning disabilities, hearing loss, and possibly even autism.
It was awesome to see how this teacher was able to connect with and engage her students through there own personal technology. Some of them could not have interacted with her or their classmates at all without computers. Being able to make these students feel like part of the group instead of excluded from it is so important. I cannot even imagine the feeling of being able to make a difference in the lives of special education students like these.


How The iPad Works With Academics For Autism
This video was amazing. In the video How the iPad Works With Academics For Autism Braden, an 8 year old autistic boy is using the iPad to practice writing, recognizing and reading words, and counting. The iPad is useful for Braden because it gives him instant feedback and he enjoys the fast, direct interaction it provides. Something like this is so useful in the education of autistic children and can be useful in the education of all children from a very young age.
While browsing the iTunes library of apps I found one that I thought was awesome. Because I have taken some sign language and I love the idea of working with children with hearing loss or communication difficulties, the Sign 4 Me- Signed English Translator was my favorite. This app offers a library of over 11,000 words and a fully animated avatar to sign each one. This would be so useful in helping students to practice signing. This app can be found under the Special Education Seeing and Hearing section on iTunes.
Also because I am a total biology nerd, I found the Science360 app to be very fun. It includes high resolution images and video, weekly updates, and scientific discovery news via an app news feed. I would like to have this app just for fun so I really think students would enjoy it. It would be visually dynamic enough to really engage a special education class.


Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
Wow Vicki Davis is awesome. I think it is just wonderful how she is teaching her students to interact with the whole world through technology. I actually envy these kids for getting this kind of education while still in high school. I wish that my high school had had this kind of class. I agree with what Mrs Davis says at the beginning of the video. If a class is only pen and paper, then only certain types of students are going to succeed. She is right! Some students just don't learn that way. I thought it was so great to watch all of her students working together to figure things out and collaborating on projects. I also loved that she admitted that she is still learning too and that her students actually teach her things, as well as teaching each other. That is a great classroom energy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan,
    I just want to start off by saying your grammar and presentation of this post was amazing. You did a very good job explaining every topic. I can honestly say I don't see one mistake because I absolutely loved reading your post. I liked how you said in your Ipad topic that you were a biology nerd. I am a biology major so I think thats cool! Keep up the good work! I throughly enjoyed this.
    V/R
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I actually have the Sign 4 Me app (just for fun) and I like it! The app has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete